Faculty of Medicine, Department of Experimental Medical Science
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top universities. The University has around 45 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset.
Description of the AMBER project
This post-doctoral position is part of the EU cofund research project AMBER, Advanced Multiscale Biological imaging using European Research infrastructures, will address scientific and sectoral gaps in biological imaging ranging from molecular, through cellular, to tissue, organ and organism levels of organization, and is coordinated by LINXS Institute of advanced Neutron and X-ray Science.
AMBER is funded by the EU Marie Skłodowska-Curie (MSCA) COFUND scheme.
Around 14 postdocs will be recruited in the first call, with each fellowship lasting 36 months.
AMBER has six core partners: Lund University/MAX IV, Sweden, the European Spallation Source (ESS), Sweden, the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), Institut Laue-Langevin (ILL), France, the International Institute of Molecular Mechanisms and Machines, (IMOL), Poland, and the Leicester Institute of Structural and Chemical Biology, United Kingdom.
Your work will include clinical and biomedical projects. It will also include technique development work aimed at combining imaging techniques and data analysis to provide a more integrated picture of life processes in the context of health and disease. To be a postdoc fellow at the AMBER programme you will get unprecedented medical, biological, and methodological capabilities, with a profound potential impact for Europe’s next generation of research and researchers. When you have completed the AMBER programme you will be extraordinarily well equipped to further your career in academia, at infrastructures, in the health and MedTech sectors, and beyond.
For more information about the total announced post-doctoral positions within in the AMBER co-fund project please visit Euraxess
The interviews will start in April. For more information about AMBER, application and evaluation process etc please visit: Amber
Project description within the research group
Ion channels are essential for life across organisms and a sophisticated understanding of their function is imperative for basic, biomedical and applied research. With this position, we intend to intensify our work in understanding at the molecular level how TRP ion channels work, how they are regulated and how they can become modulated in normal and pathophysiology. This is a collaborative project between two groups led by Pontus Gourdon and Peter Zygmunt. We are looking for a skilled and motivated post-doc with an interest in working with membrane proteins to understand how TRP ion channels operate at the molecular level. For a recent publication on the matter from the groups, see:
- Zhang et al (2022) Nature Communications 13(1):7483
The recruited person will perform experimental research with a focus on cryo-EM, but also apply functional studies. Here is a selection of related articles recently published by the two teams (see also rb.gy/lcv9dj):
- Moparthi et al (2022) Nature Communications 13(1):6113
- Salustros et al (2022) Nature Communications 13(1):5121
- Li et al (2022) Nature Communications 13(1):4339
- Wiuf et al (2022) Science Advances 8, eabn4331
- Grønberg et al (2021). Elife 10:e73124
- Li et al (2021) Nature Communications 12(1):3973
- Wang et al (2021) Nature Communications 12(1):2956
Duties and responsibilities
The tasks as a postdoctoral researcher mainly include conducting research. Teaching may be part of the work duties, but no more than a fifth of the working time. Within the framework of the employment, there must be an opportunity for three weeks of university pedagogical training.
- The postdoctoral fellow recruited for this position will focus on determining molecular structures of TRP ion channels using cryo-EM Sample preparation and data collection and analysis work as agreed during regular meetings.
- Participate in regular laboratory tasks within the research group as part of normal day-to-day operations in a team-driven laboratory environment.
- The work may require travel to other institutes.
- Participation in national and international conferences as agreed.
- The work will also include at least one secondment outside Lund University.
- Research within the subject area, according to the project description
- Participation in AMBER’s educational programs and activities
Qualifications and assessment grounds
Minimum requirements are:
– candidate needs to have a maximum 8 years after a doctoral degree (PhD), as required by the Commission, in accordance with the Horizon-Europe MSCA cofund project Grant Agreement
– at least one original publication in a peer-reviewed journal
– background in the relevant methods
– a complete application package submitted through the AMBER portal (including CV and detailed research plan)
– finally, strict compliance with the MSCA mobility rule that the researcher must not have resided or carried out his/her main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the host organization’s country for more than twelve months in the three years immediately prior to the call deadline.
The employment also requires:
In addition to the above-mentioned general criteria candidates for this position must fulfill the following criteria:
- You must have experience of cloning, production and purification of proteins.
- You must have experience of employing single particle cryo-EM and/or X-ray crystallography for structure determination of proteins.
- You must have experience of analysis of proteins structures.
Meritorious for the employment
- Experience of working with a eukaryotic host, such as HEK cells.
- Experience of working with membrane proteins. Experience of working with single particle cryo-EM.
- We place grate emphasis on personal qualifications. You should be ambitious, creative, have good cooperation skills and initiative and a high degree of independence.
Basis of assessment
This is a qualifying position primarily focused on research. The appointment is intended as an initial step in the career and the assessment of the applicants will primarily be based on their scientific merits and potential as a researcher.
When hiring a postdoctoral fellow, the following must form the basis for assessment:
• Good ability to develop and carry out research of good quality
• Independent thinking and ability to drive own research in the field
• Good cooperation skills
Instructions on how to apply
For more information please visit https://www.ambercofund.eu/
If you are interested in applying for more than one position (maximum 3) you must be prepared to make a full application for each individual position.
Applications shall be written in English and compiled into a PDF-file containing:
i) A Curriculum Vitae (europass format). This is created by registering and using the Europass portal here: https://europa.eu/europass/en/create-europass-cv Your CV can then be exported to a PDF file that you use in your application. ii) A detailed research plan including any foreseen secondments (candidates can suggest more than the mandated one, they can also suggest their own secondments), schools and conferences as well as a templated budget plan. (as concise as possible, recommended about 3-5 pages, but at an absolute maximum 10 pages. The research plan should include a half page of summary/abstract. The template can be downloaded from the “For applicants” page, here: https://www.ambercofund.eu/for-applicants
Additional texts to include in the PDF are:
iii) Letter of Commitment from any additional secondment partners the candidate wishes to bring onboard.
iv) Evidence of English proficiency (minimum CEFR B22, also checked at interview). v) A draft Individual Career Development Plan (ICDP). vi) Two reference letters.
vii) Any additional documents to support the application.
viii) Ethical questionnaire (HE ethics checklist + research ethics commitment) link will be provided at the “For applicants” page, here: https://www.ambercofund.eu/for-applicants
In addition, the application will require:
- ix) Any candidate can apply for maximum of 3 positions. You must apply for each individual position. A list with order of preference of positions should be sent to the AMBER management. firstname.lastname@example.org The template can be downloaded from the “For applicants” page, here:https://www.ambercofund.eu/for-applicants
x) A pre-recorded video presentation (questionnaire-guided, via online video tool, about 10min). Upon successful completion of the rest of the application procedure eligible candidates will be sent a link.