The Department of Twin Research and Genetic Epidemiology at King’s College London (St Thomas’ Hospital Campus) wishes to appoint a Resource Administration Manager to design and coordinate the operational delivery of complex studies with thousands of participants at TwinsUK, a longitudinal study of 16,000 twins.
We are looking for an applicant with experience and knowledge of working in an NHS / University research environment, and with experience of coordinating delivery of complex studies.
They will be required to interact with a multidisciplinary team, supervise the admin team’s day-to-day work and line manage administration staff. Previous experience in study administration and customer service is essential. The role will involve coordinating the set-up and delivery of studies, including working on ethics submissions, preparation of participant information materials, designing and ensuring weekly recruitment targets are met, and developing and implementing strategies with the Programme Manager to ensure participants remain engaged and committed to TwinsUK.
The applicant should have multi-tasking skills, excellent organisational skills, the ability to work well in a busy environment, be proactive, with initiative and have an interest in learning.
They should be confident using MS Excel, Word, mail-merge techniques and using MS Access and other databases with a high degree of accuracy. The applicant should have a strong understanding of GDPR and data protection in the context of a health research study, and the appropriate and accurate management of personal participant information.
This post will be offered on a fixed-term contract for 24 months.
This is a full-time post.
- Responsible for the administration of study set-up and delivery, ensuring participants are enabled to take part easily and recruitment targets are met
- Liaising with the PIs, researchers, Programme Manager and wider operations team, work with the admin team to plan and execute study recruitment strategies and develop study recruitment documents and participant information materials.
- Oversee the recruitment of volunteers for studies run by the department, ensuring quality service delivery and the accurate maintenance of all relevant databases following set protocols.
- Day-to-day supervision and line management of the admin team. This includes ensuring appropriate training and supervision for staff; handling and monitoring of workload, attendance and leave; and providing team members regular feedback and coaching.
- Responsible for designing and updating consent forms, participant information sheets and carrying out any other ethical submissions and amendments required through IRAS, NHS REC, King’s College London Research Ethics Committee and the Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG) in consultation with the Programme Manager.
- Participate in data linkage meetings and contribute to the department’s data linkage strategy and implementation.
- Working together with other managers to manage sensitive situations with participants.
- Responsible for the completion, updating and management of all admin SOPs.
- Develop research related administrative systems and internal procedures and protocol to efficiently administer research projects. This includes designing improvements in administrative systems and procedures where necessary to enhance quality assurance and reporting.
- Create and manipulate database queries and report using standard information on the departmental databases required in the delivery of study recruitment activities.
- Responsible for Health & Safety in the department, ensuring all policies and guidelines are met.
- Working with the Senior Business Manager to support in purchasing, ordering and other financial activities enabling research and volunteer participation.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Undergraduate degree, HND, NVQ 4 qualified or equivalent in relevant subject/relevant formal training, plus relevant experience in similar or related roles.
- Experience of designing and leading the recruitment strategy and delivery of multiple complex research studies with 100s – 1000s of participants
- Experience of supervising or line managing staff
- Experience of using complex databases and information management systems including using Microsoft Word, Access and Excel to an advanced level
- Experience designing and implementing new information management systems and tools to improve accuracy, efficiency and user experience
- Experience developing and implementing Standard Operating Protocols, participant information materials and policies for research best conduct
- Excellent communication, presentation, negotiation and influencing skills at all levels, with outstanding people skills – able to build a rapport with colleagues, external stakeholders and study participants
- Strong understanding and implementation of GDPR, Data Protection Act 2018, research ethics and other relevant legislation and guidance for the appropriate conduct of research and maintenance of participant confidentiality
- Excellent task management skills both for self and direct reports, ensuring deadlines are met consistently
- Experience managing study finances, including managing stock levels and participant expenses
- Excellent written English including grammar, punctuation and structuring written text.
- Ability to work under pressure in a busy environment
- Experience of planning and implementation, including preparing budgets, preparing business cases and plans, and risks
- Knowledge of health & safety processes
- Experience of writing or contributing to protocol papers or data notes